The interview process for internships is just as formal and intentional as if interviewing for a full-time job. Follow these tips for the ultimate first impression.
Most internship interviews begin with a telephone screening. Keep these basic tips in mind:
- Find a quiet room away from distractions, noise, pets, television and roommates.
- Have your résumé, cover letter, the job description, and a list of your questions readily available.
- Wait for the interviewer to set the pace, and be comfortable with silence; the interviewer may be taking notes.
- Ask the interviewer to repeat questions you do not hear or to rephrase questions you do not understand.
- Ask about next steps as well as any contact information necessary for follow-up.