Degree Programs >
Full-Time MBA >
UB MBA - Academic Options >
The UB MBA Curriculum
The UB MBA Curriculum
The University at Buffalo MBA Program combines the depth of a strong management core curriculum with the breadth of career concentrations. In 2012 we redesigned the two-year, full-time curriculum so it blends required foundation-building courses with flexible, career-targeted electives. The two-year format offers an excellent timeframe to build extensive career networks both inside and outside of the school, gain further real-world experience, and engage in a comprehensive job search. The faculty are committed to continuously reviewing the curriculum to maintain the strong foundation while keeping abreast of industry changes.
The UB MBA program committee conducted a comprehensive review of our core curriculum. They looked at the latest management education trends in light of the skills that individuals and organizations need for our globally integrated world of business. They consulted with corporate recruiters, alumni, program directors at other schools, faculty, program staff and Career Resource Center personnel to validate a new concept and content for the core curriculum. Programmatic goals such as team skills, quantitative analysis and integrative analysis were considered integral to the revised core. The result is a smaller, modular core focusing on what every manager needs to know, with renewed emphasis on delivery as well as content, with an experiential capstone. This restructuring also allows students greater flexibility to take advantage of a rich selection of concentrations and the LeaderCORE™ program.
Click here [PDF] for course descriptions.
First Semester - 15 core credits
- MGA 603 Financial Accounting for Managers (2 credits - first 7 weeks)
- MGB 610 Organizational Behavior (2 credits - 14 weeks)
- MGB 611 Team Skills (1 credit - 14 weeks)
- MGF 611 Financial Analysis for Managers (2 credits - second 7 weeks)
- MGG 601 Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainability (1.5 credits - second 7 weeks)
- MGG 635 Management Communication (1.5 credits - first 7 weeks)
- MGM 615 Marketing for Managers (2 credits - second 7 weeks)
- MGQ 608 Statistical Analysis for Managers (2 credits - 14 weeks)
- MGQ 609 Analytics for Managers (1 credit - 14 weeks)
Second Semester - 10 core credits
- MGA 605 Accounting for Management Decision Making (2 credits - second 7 weeks)
- MGE 604 Business Economics (2 credits - first 7 weeks)
- MGO 620 Operations Management (2 credits - first 7 weeks)
- MGO 640 Business Strategy (2 credits - 14 weeks)
- MGS 605 IT for Managers (2 credits - second 7 weeks)
Fourth Semester - 2 core credits
- MGO 642 Integration of Business Functions (1 credit - 14 weeks)
- MGO 644 Business Practice (1 credit - 14 weeks)
An additional 33 credits of electives selected from concentrations or individual development courses will complete the program.
Study Abroad Opportunity
The School of Management has a formal study abroad exchange agreement with Renmin University in Beijing, China. See the Renmin University Exchange Program link to the left for details.
Fall 2013 [PDF]
Spring 2014 [PDF]
Selecting an MBA Concentration
If the first year is the strong base on which you can build your professional career, the second year is your chance to channel that knowledge into a targeted career direction. Your own interests and professional objectives come into play when you customize your program by choosing elective courses from our comprehensive offerings. The second year allows you to broaden your perspective on management or deepen it in specific areas. While some students choose not to specialize, you may select one or more concentrations.
Current students check with your advisor
or consult the current handbook [PDF]
For more information on each concentration reference the MBA/MS Handbook [PDF]
Graduate Programs Office
School of Management
University at Buffalo
203 Alfiero Center
Buffalo, NY 14260-4010
Meet our Staff