UB School of Management alumni share words of congratulations and support for the Class of 2020.
BUFFALO, N.Y. — Twenty University at Buffalo School of Management graduates received awards during the school’s virtual commencement ceremony on May 15.
The master’s and PhD graduates and the awards they received are:
- Danielle Hockwater of Cheektowaga, the Sidney N. Kahn Memorial Award for Excellence in Sales and Marketing, presented to the MBA student who has made the greatest contribution to the sales and marketing field.
- Carly Gugino of Tonawanda, the Master of Science Student Achievement Award, presented to an MS student who has demonstrated scholastic excellence and rendered outstanding extracurricular service to the school and university.
- Stefan Kothe of Getzville, the Intrepid Award, presented to a graduating MBA student who exhibits exceptional achievement, persistence and success.
- Timothy Madden of Hamburg, the MBA Student Achievement Award, which honors an MBA student who has demonstrated scholastic excellence and rendered outstanding extracurricular service to the school and university.
- Pavankumar Mulgund of Buffalo, the PhD Student Achievement Award, which honors a doctoral student who has demonstrated scholastic excellence and rendered outstanding extracurricular service to the school and university. Mulgund also is a clinical assistant professor of management science and systems in the UB School of Management.
- Jacob Ryan of Buffalo, the Charles H. Diefendorf Award in Finance, presented to the student who has made the greatest contribution to the finance discipline.
- Yash Saurin Shah of Coimbatore, India, the Dr. Marcel and Mrs. Kathryn Vinokur Award to Promote Global Understanding, given to a graduating School of Management student born outside of North America who has contributed to promoting global understanding among MBA students.
- Alyssa Szal of Eden, the Drs. John and Arlyn Myers Award, presented to an MBA student who has excelled in the marketing field.
- Sonya Tareke of Amherst, the Dr. Jerry and Mrs. Dina Wind Award to Promote International Understanding, presented to a U.S.-born student who has contributed to promoting international understanding among MBA students.
- Jacob Walsh of Liverpool, the Magnus Award for Greatness in MBA Student Leadership, presented to the student who, in the judgment of the faculty, demonstrates greatness in all facets of the MBA program, including academic performance, leadership, innovation and generosity of spirit.
The bachelor’s graduates and the awards they received are:
- Lisa Marcellus of Pittsford, the State University of New York Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence, the highest award for students in the SUNY system. It is presented to students who have best demonstrated and been recognized for the integration of academic excellence with accomplishments in leadership, athletics, community service, creative and performing arts, campus involvement or career achievement.
- Lauren Aldrich of Pleasant Valley, the Eddy Lin Memorial Award, presented to a graduating student focusing on an accounting career with a mid-size public accounting firm. The recipient must actively mentor others, exhibit scholastic excellence and a passion for learning, and have a caring and fun attitude.
- Francesca Dominianni of New City, and Yue Zhang of Jinan, China, both received the Adriana Ilyse Thaler Memorial Senior Award in Marketing, presented to the senior marketing student who has best demonstrated academic excellence, leadership, marketing professionalism and personal motivation.
- Milad Ghanatios of Rochester, the Undergraduate Student Achievement Award, presented to an undergraduate who has demonstrated scholastic excellence and rendered outstanding extracurricular service to the school and university.
- Theresa Hill of South Setauket, and Lauren Rivera of Marathon, both received the UB Accounting Association Michael S. Dockery Memorial Senior Award, presented to senior accounting students who have contributed in a superior way to the Institute of Internal Auditors, the accounting profession, fellow students and the school.
- Kaitlynd Howell of Grand Island, the William H. Wendel Memorial Award for Student Excellence in Human Resources Management, presented to the undergraduate who has made the greatest contribution to the field of human resources management.
- Jordan Sobon of Kenmore, and Xuewei Wang of Jinan, China, both received the Delta Sigma Pi Scholarship Key, presented to the full-time undergraduates who compiled the highest management grade point average of all eligible graduating students.
The UB School of Management is recognized for its emphasis on real-world learning, community and economic impact, and the global perspective of its faculty, students and alumni. The school also has been ranked by Bloomberg Businessweek, Forbes and U.S. News & World Report for the quality of its programs and the return on investment it provides its graduates. For more information about the UB School of Management, visit mgt.buffalo.edu.