Degree Programs >
Full-Time MBA >
UB MBA - Academic Options >
UB MBA - Dual and Collaborative Degree Programs >
The School of Management and the School of Law offer a four-year (eight semesters, plus summers if needed) program leading to a JD/MBA degree.
Students complete a joint application if not enrolled in either program yet. Applications do not have to be submitted concurrently, but applicants must meet residency requirements.
If completed as a combined program:
- 27 hours— MBA core courses
- 21 hours— MBA electives**
- 81 hours— Total Law*
- 130 total hours maximum
**Normally 60 credits (33 elective hours) are required for the MBA degree.
*Normal Law School requirements are 90 hours for a JD degree.
Students in this JD/MBA program will participate in a cohort, and study groups with full-time MBA students in the first year of School of Management residency. Therefore, no core courses will be waived. In addition, students who do not have at least one year of relevant post-baccalaureate work experience will be required to complete a 3-credit management internship. This internship satisfies one MBA elective.
GMAT and LSAT
All applicants are required to take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the GRE and the Law School Admission Test (LSAT). To receive information and register for the GMAT, visit the MBA website. For the GRE, visit ETS. For the LSAT, visit the LSAC website.
- MGA 603 Financial Accounting for Managers (2 credits - first 7 weeks)
- MGB 610 Organizational Behavior (2 credits - 14 weeks)
- MGB 611 Team Skills (1 credit - 14 weeks)
- MGF 611 Financial Analysis for Managers (2 credits - second 7 weeks)
- MGG 601 Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability (1.5 credits - second 7 weeks)
- MGG 635 Management Communications (1.5 credits - first 7 weeks)
- MGM 615 Marketing for Managers (2 credits - second 7 weeks)
- MGQ 608 Statistical Analysis for Managers (2 credits - 14 weeks)
- MGQ 609 Analytics for Managers (1 credit - 14 weeks)
- MGA 605 Accounting for Management Decision Making (2 credits - second 7 weeks)
- MGE 604 Business Economics (2 credits - first 7 weeks)
- MGO 620 Operations Management (2 credits - first 7 weeks)
- MGO 640 Business Strategy (2 credits - 14 weeks)
- MGS 605 It Management (2 credits - second 7 weeks)
- MGT elective (6 credits)
Fall and Spring Law course topics include:
- Research and Writing (Two semesters)
- Civil Procedures and Ethics
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Legal Profession and Ethics (pre-semester in August)
- All Law or Law and MBA
- Legal Analysis
- Writing and Research (LAWR) (Third semester)
- Law or MBA
- MGO 642 Integration of Business Functions (1 credit - 14 weeks)
- MGO 644 Business Practice (1 credit - 14 weeks)
- MGX XXX MBA Elective
21 credits of MBA electives in total (9 credits must be completed while in residency in Law School, 3 credits must be an internship).
One semester of calculus with a grade of "B" or better; or
Two semesters of calculus with grades of "C" or better.
Students in the JD/MBA program may select from any of the MBA concentrations but should consult with an MBA advisor as to feasibility and scheduling. One particular concentration is designed to draw upon combined strengths of the two schools:
An application for the School of Law may be obtained from:
306 John Lord O'Brian Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260-1100
Graduate Programs Office
School of Management
University at Buffalo
203 Alfiero Center
Buffalo, NY 14260-4010
Meet our Staff