Search for Internships >
Tips for Success
Tips for Success
The internship search can be overwhelming. Follow this advice to increase your chance for success during your internship search.
Revise and Update Your Résumé
- The résumé is a crucial tool in obtaining your desired internship, and serves as a first impression on the employer. Grammatical mistakes, formatting inconsistencies and outdated or irrelevant information will place your name at the bottom of the list.
- Re-evaluate your résumé at least once per semester. Add new information such as internships, club activities or relevant class projects. Leave high school information off your resume once you have reached sophomore year.
Network and Be Active
- Attendance at job fairs, campus workshops and mixers, membership in student clubs and professional organizations, and participation in volunteer work are just some of the great strategies to open doors to diverse opportunities.
- You may also consider using an online networking site to make connections with potential internship employers.
- Explore Mentorlink, a service provided to you by the Career Resource Center and found in the BizLink system.
Utilize Basic Marketing Tools
- A business card speaks volumes about your professionalism and maturity and is great asset at networking events. Create a business card with your name, contact information and concentration area. Various online resources help you design business cards. Local print stores offer these products as well.
- Create a one-minute personal commercial or "elevator speech". Practice this brief, self-introduction to deliver in any setting.