Home > Internships > Students > International Students

International Students

To work off campus in an internship, all international students must obtain proper work authorization, called Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and be registered for academic credit corresponding with the internship concentration. 

All students in F-1 Visa status must be present in the U.S. for nine months before participating in an internship.

Steps Required to Obtain CPT

International students are permitted to begin an internship only after CPT is fully authorized and a new I-20 has been issued. Our program is the first step in this process for international students in the School of Management.  

  1. Report your internship to the Office of Internships and Experiential Learning using BizLink.
  2. Our staff will contact your internship supervisor and request a formal offer letter along with our signed Management by Objectives Contract (MBO).
  3. After receiving the documents noted above, our office will complete your academic registration and write an advisor letter requesting CPT.
  4. You will pick up the proof of registration and the advisor letter and walk it over to the ISSS to submit.
  5. ISSS will process your CPT request (allow 3 - 5 days) and you will be issued a new I-20.

Important Notes

Timing of CPT

International students must secure an internship before the CPT request is made. Our program works closely with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) to enable work authorization for internships. See our Earn Credit page for details.

International Student Advantage 

The presentation conducted during this year's event can be found here.