Earn Credit >
Register for Academic Credit
Register for Academic Credit
Credit-Bearing Internship Program (CBIP) staff completes academic registrations for approved CBIP students within university drop/add deadlines. Students do not complete their own academic registration for internships.
I found my internship through BizLink, now what?
Begin with step one below.
I found my internship using another resource, what's my next step?
Obtain a detailed description of the internship position from the employer. Provide them with the Internship Description Guide for assistance. Use the information entered into the Internship Description Guide to help you with step 1 below.
Academic Registration Steps:
Easy step-by-step guide
Log in to BizLink, click "Report My Internship" from your list of shortcuts, complete and save the CBIP Main Form.
Our staff will review all internship reports for approval.
Once approved, we will contact your employer and instruct them to complete the Management by Objectives Contract (MBO). You will receive an e-mail notification.
Coordinate with your employer, as you and the employer are both required to read, complete and sign the MBO.
Tip: Do not report your internship until you have officially accepted an offer. Once the MBO is signed, you are committed to that employer's internship. You may not continue searching for other internship opportunities nor should you participate in additional interviews after the MBO has been signed. If you are navigating more than one internship opportunity and need assistance, please make an appointment with CBIP.
- Submit the completed MBO to our office. International students must also submit an offer letter (see below).
- We complete course registration for you after which you will receive an e-mail confirmation. The course will appear on your UBLearns account, but keep in mind that you will submit all internship assignments through BizLink.
Additional steps for international students:
- Obtain an offer letter from your supervisor, presented on company letterhead, including the information below:
- Start and end dates of internship
- Number of work hours per week (not to exceed 20 hours during fall and spring semesters or 40 hours during summer)
- Your supervisor's name and signature
- Bring your offer letter and completed MBO to our office. When completed, you will be provided with proof of registration and an advisor letter required by ISSS, which you will take to 210 Talbert to begin the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization process. There is no fee for CPT.
For All Students:
If I complete a summer credit-bearing internship, do I pay summer tuition?
- Yes, a credit-bearing internship is linked to actual academic credits. You must pay tuition upon the semester of enrollment. This is the case for any course taken within the SUNY system. Current tuition rates can be found on the Student Accounts website.
Am I legally required to register my internship for credit?
- Legally, for-profit companies cannot offer unpaid internships unless they are offered for academic credit. If you are working as an intern in a for-profit company and are not paid or registered for credit, the employer is violating U.S. Department of Labor regulations. Not-for-profit organizations often prefer students to be registered for credit during internships as well.
- Insurance coverage—as long as you are registered for a course, you are covered under your student health insurance during your internship.
Is there anything else I should know?
- An undergraduate internship registration that will cause you to exceed 18 credit hours requires an override on your account. Overrides are granted only after the undergraduate office has reviewed your academic performance and communicated their decision to us. Our staff will contact the undergraduate office for you to start this process; however, bring the issue to our attention before we attempt to complete your registration for credit.
An MBA student is not eligible to participate in a credit-bearing internship if doing so will cause his/her total credits for the semester to exceed 18.
- After graduation, alumni are not permitted to participate in internships found in our BizLink system.