The interview process for internships is just as formal and
intentional as if interviewing for a full-time job. Follow these
tips for the ultimate first impression.
Many internship interviews begin with a telephone screening.
Keep these basic tips in mind:
- Charge up your phone beforehand or use a landline if available
for best reception.
- Find a quiet room away from distractions, noise, pets,
television and roommates.
- Stand up and smile when speaking. This will improve the
strength of your voice.
- Lay out your résumé, cover letter, the job
description, a notepad and any questions for easy access.
- Ask the interviewer to repeat questions you do not hear or to
rephrase questions you do not understand.
- Wait for the interviewer to set the pace, and be comfortable
with silence; the interviewer may be taking notes.
- Ask about next steps as well as any contact information
necessary for follow-up.
- Follow up with a thank you just the same as face-to-face