Reaching Others University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content


1. How do I apply to the Office of Internships and Experiential Learning?

  • All School of Management students, based on academic performance, will be evaluated and set up in BizLink at the beginning of each academic year. Students will be contacted by email regarding their eligibility to participate. See Earn Credit for more information. Start dates for your internship search are as follows:
    • Summer internships: February 1
    • Fall internships: July 1
    • Spring internships: October 1

Return to Top

2. Can I earn credit for an internship I find on my own?

  • You are more than welcome to search for internships though networking contacts, community engagement, career fairs or other events. Internship opportunities found outside of BizLink need to be pre-screened for credit before you accept the offer.*
  • Present the internship description to our staff for evaluation. You may choose to refer your supervisor to our director. Internship descriptions must follow the format outlined in our Internship Description Guide [PDF].

*We retain the right to reject an internship site or experience when the internship does not meet our standards of academic credibility or poses an unsafe or unethical work environment.

Return to Top

3. Are students paid during credit-bearing internships?

  • Students may earn credit and receive pay at the same time. On average, just under half of our internships are paid.
  • We always encourage employers to pay although we cannot require it. We suggest an average pay for undergraduates as $10-$15 per hour, and for graduate students, $15-$25 per hour. 
  • If you are participating in an unpaid internship, you may choose to discuss reimbursement of certain logistical costs with your supervisor after you receive the internship offer (bus fare, mileage, parking, etc.). Some students have successfully negotiated partial or full summer tuition reimbursement for the internship credits. For best results, do not ask the employer about this during the initial interviews. Instead, wait until an offer has been extended and do not ask multiple times.

Return to Top

4. How is my internship registered for credit?

We complete academic registration for approved internships within university drop/add deadlines. After you accept an internship offer, complete the following steps:

  • If you found your internship through BizLink, log in to the system and click "Report My Internship" from the home page amd complete the Internship Main Form for our review.
  • If you found your internship on your own, obtain a detailed description of the internship position from the employer. Provide them with the Internship Description Guide [PDF] for assistance. Then, log in to BizLink, click on "Report My Internship" and complete the Internship Main Form for our review.
  • Once your internship has been approved, we will email your employer and instruct them to complete the Management by Objectives (MBO) contract. You will be copied on this email.
  • Both you and your supervisor are required to read and sign the MBO. Keep a copy for your records.
  • Submit the completed MBO to our office by email, fax or hand delivery. If your supervisor send us the MBO without your signature, that's fine. We will let you know when it has arrived and ask you to stop by our office to sign.
  • We complete course registration for you and then send you an email confirmation. The course will appear on your UBLearns account.

Additional academic registration steps for international students:

  • Obtain an offer letter from your supervisor, presented on company letterhead, including the following:
    • Start and end dates of internship
    • Number of work hours per week (not to exceed 20 hours during fall and spring semesters or 40 hours during summer)
    • Your supervisor's name and signature
  • Bring your offer letter and completed MBO to our office. When completed, you will be provided with proof of registration and an advisor letter required by ISSS, which you will take to 210 Talbert to begin the CPT authorization process. Expect between 3 to 7 days for processing. There is no cost for CPT.

Are there credit limits for internship participation?

  • Undergraduate students may only exceed 18 credit hours in a given semester for a credit-bearing internship if an override is granted. A review of GPA and current course load is necessary before a decision can be made. There is no guarantee the request will be approved.
  • MBA and MS students are not permitted to exceed 18 credit hours during a semester to participate in an internship.

Return to Top

5. If I complete a summer credit-bearing internship, do I pay summer tuition?

  • Yes, a credit-bearing internship is linked to actual academic credits. You must pay tuition upon the semester of enrollment. This is the case for any course taken within the SUNY system. Current tuition rates can be found on the Student Accounts website.

Return to Top

6. Can I complete more than one credit-bearing internship?

  • Undergraduate students are allowed to apply a maximum of six credits (two internships) toward the total number of credits needed to graduate. HR internships can be counted directly toward the concentration area; all other internship registrations are considered elective credit.
  • Graduate students are allowed a maximum of three credits (one internship) to count toward the total number of hours needed to graduate. Any other internship credits will be considered above and beyond what is nesessary.
  • Students in F-1 visa status in the School of Management are permitted a second internship/second CPT under special circumstances. If continuation of a work project is requested by the employer for a second semester, a new internship description must be submitted and reviewed by staff for approval. 
  • Students may participate in only one credit-bearing internship at a time.

Return to Top

7. Can I earn credit for a past internship?

  • There is no retroactive credit granted for past internships.

Return to Top

8. Can I receive an internship requirement waiver? (MBA students only)

  • Full-time MBA students are required to complete one credit-bearing internship before graduation. To qualify for a waiver, you must have prior professional experience consisting of at least one full year of post-bachelor, full-time managerial experience in a relevant setting.
  • Résumés must be submitted to the CRC when requested so the Office of Internships and Experiential Learning director can review and make decisions. You will be notified in the fall semester of your first year if you qualify for a waiver.
  • Students waived from their internship requirement are allowed to "void" their waivers upon their own request. Our office recommends that no waivers are voided until an actual internship offer has been made and has been accepted.

Return to Top

9. What if something goes wrong or I have a problem during my internship?

  • Please contact our office to schedule an appointment. Often, with a bit of coaching, you are able to manage the problem or open up more productive lines of communication with your supervisor. Only when we feel there is dire need would we intervene for you, and your concerns are treated with the utmost respect.
  • Students unable to complete the required amount of internship hours (minimum of 150 for all students; 300 for Prosperity Scholars) due to illness, an accident or any other issues must let us know as soon as possible after the event to discuss available options. 
  • Students who have been terminated from an internship by the employer are required to contact us immediately to discuss next steps. Failure to do so could result in severe consequences.

Return to Top

10. Am I required to register my internship for credit?

  • Domestic students participating in paid internships are not required to register for credit, but have the option if desired. 
  • International students must be registered for credit to request work authorization, regardless of paid or unpaid status.  
  • Legally, for-profit companies cannot offer unpaid internships unless they are true educational experiences offered for academic credit. If you are working as an intern in a for-profit company and are not paid, you must register for academic credit. 
  • Nonprofit organizations are approved by the Department of Labor to "employ" unpaid volunteers because of the nature of their status. However, nonprofits usually prefer students to be registered for credit during unpaid internships as well.

Return to Top

11. Is my student health insurance active during my internship?

  • As long as you are registered for credits through our office, you are covered under your student health insurance during your internship.