Faculty and Research >
Academic Departments >
Operations Management and Strategy >
Nallan C. Suresh
UB Distinguished Professor
Operations Management and Strategy Department
PhD, University of Cincinnati
MBA, McMaster University (Canada)
B.Tech., Indian Institute of Technology
Dr. Suresh's work is primarily in the field of manufacturing and operations management. He has published widely in academic and professional journals, and he has presented numerous papers at national and international conferences. Dr. Suresh has served in industry as a systems analyst specializing in manufacturing information systems applications, and he continues to act as consultant to several manufacturing organizations.
Suresh, N. C. and J. R. Meredith. "Coping with the Loss of Pooling Synergy in Cellular Manufacturing Systems." Management Science, 40, 4, (April 1994): pp. 466-483.
Suresh, N. C. "A Generalized Multimachine Replacement Model for Flexible Automation Investments." IIE Transactions 24, 2, (May 1992): pp. 131-143.
Dr. Suresh has also published numerous articles in publications including: International Journal of Production Research, European Journal of Operations Research, Computers and Industrial Engineering, Decision Sciences, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Journal of Operations Management, Production and Inventory Management, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Operations Management Review, and SME Technical Papers.
- The Institute of Management Science
- American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS)
- Chairman, Manufacturing and Operations Management Option
- Member, MBA Committee
- Chairman, MBA Admissions and Retention Subcommittee
- Faculty Advisor, APICS University at Buffalo student chapter
- Information Systems Effectiveness for a division of a major automotive corporation in Buffalo, New York, through TCIE (1988-89)
- Materials Management Systems for an electronics components manufacturer in Western New York, through the New York State Science and Technology Department (1987-88)
- Design and Feasibility Study for flexible manufacturing system for a consultant on behalf of a major machine tool and robotics equipment manufacturer in Cincinnati, Ohio (1985)
- Forecasting and Service Parts Inventory Management System for a major automotive firm in Florence, Kentucky (1985)
- Forecasting, Planning and Budgeting System for a major cable service company on behalf of the Institute for Advanced Manufacturing Sciences (IAMS) in Cincinnati, Ohio (1985)
- Dr. Suresh is currently pursuing empirical research involving several Dutch firms that are implementing cellular manufacturing
- Presented a paper at the International Production Management Conference, London Business School, April 1993, and at other international conferences
- He taught in the UB MBA Program in China, and at executive training programs in Latvia
- Alfred V. Bodine/Society for Manufacturing Engineers (SME) Award for Studies in Machine Tool Economics ($5,000 cash award and medal) at International Machine Tool Manufacturers' Meet, Detroit, Michigan 1985
- Selected to participate in the Doctoral Consortium of the Decision Sciences Institute
- Summer Research Fellowship, University at Buffalo (1989, 1991, 1992, 1993)
- Joseph T.J. Stewart Faculty Scholar, University at Buffalo (1989)
- New York State Science and Technology Department ($40,000), with Robert Cerveny, Materials Management Systems for Current Controls, Inc. (1987)
- The Cleveland Foundation ($50,000), with J.R. Meredith and others, Management of High Technology Firms (1985)
- 1993: Visiting Professor, University of Groningen, Netherlands
- 1981-1982: Senior Systems Analyst, Brakes India, Ltd.
- 1978-1981: Systems Analyst, Brakes India, Ltd.
Nallan C. Suresh
UB Distinguished Professor & Chair
Operations Management and Strategy
School of Management
University at Buffalo
326F Jacobs Management Center
Buffalo, NY 14260-4000