Faculty and Research >
Academic Departments >
Finance and Managerial Economics >
Finance and Managerial Economics Department
PhD, Finance, Queen’s University, Canada
MA, Economics, Wuhan University, China
BA, Hubei University, China
- Corporate finance, corporate governance
- International finance
- Financial analysts, media disclosure
- Accounting standards harmonization
- Corporate finance
Bae, Kee-Hong, Arzu Ozoguz, Hongping Tan, and Tony S. Wirjanto. Do Foreigners Facilitate Information Transmission in Emerging Market? Journal of Financial Economics 105 (1): 209–227.
Tan, Hongping, Shiheng Wang, and Mike Welker. 2011. Foreign Analyst Following and Forecast Accuracy after Mandated IFRS Adoptions. Journal of Accounting Research 49 (5): 1307-1357.
Bae, Kee-Hong, René Stulz, and Hongping Tan. 2008. Do Local Analysts Know More? A Cross-country Study of the Performance of Local Analysts and Foreign Analysts. Journal of Financial Economics 88: 581–606. Featured in the February 2009 issue of the CFA Digest, a CFA Institute publication.
Bae, Kee-Hong, Hongping Tan, and Michael Welker. 2008. International GAAP Differences: The Impact on Foreign Analysts. The Accounting Review 83: 593-628.
Awards, Grants and Honors
- 2012 SSHRC Standard Research Grant, 2012-2016, Co-investigator, with Alan Huang (PI), $117,558
- 2012 Best International Paper Award at the Eastern Finance Association Annual Meeting 2012, Boston, MA
- 2011 CFA Best Paper Award at the 2011 FMA Asian Conference, New Zealand
- 2011 Vernon Zimmerman Best Paper Award at the 23rd Asian-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues in Beijing, China
- 2011 SSHRC Standard Research Grant, Primary Investigator, with Patricia O'Brien and Tony Wirjanto, $87,062
- 2010 WatRISQ Research Award, 2011-2012, with Alan Huang, $5,000
- 2009 SSHRC Standard Research Grant, Co-investigator, with Michael Welker (PI) and Shiheng Wang, $75,000, Research Time Stipend included
- 2008 SSHRC Standard Research Grant, Solo investigator, $22,726
- 2006 Best Paper Award at the Conference on Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Seoul
- 2001-2005 Queen’s Graduate Award, Mcleod-D.I. Fellowship, G H. Wood Scholarship
- 1998 Top 10 Distinguished Youth Faculty of Hubei University
- 1995 Graduate Research Award, School of Business, Wuhan University
Geographic Proximity and IPO Firm Coverage, 2012, with Patricia C. O'Brien. Presented at NFA 2011, EFA 2010, EFMA Asian Finance Conference 2010 and AAA 2009.
When Analysts Talk, Do Institutional Investors Listen? Evidence from Target Price Changes and Institutional Trading, 2012, with Shannon Lin. Presented at FMA Asian Conference 2011, NFA 2011, FMA 2011, EFA 2012.
Incentives or Irrationality? International Evidence from the Impact of Individualism on Analyst Forecast Bias, 2012, with Ran Zhang. Presented at the 23rd Asian-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues, EFA 2012.
Analyst Target Prices and Forecast Accuracy around the World, with Mark Bradshaw and Alan Huang. Presented at EFA 2012, U of T Rotman, Waterloo.
Institutional Trading Around News Releases, with Alan Huang & Lei Ma. Presented at EFA 2012.
Professional and Social Services
- Referee for the Review of Financial studies, The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Empirical Finance, Journal of Accounting Auditing and Finance, Asia-Pacific Journal of Financial Studies, Financial Review, Journal of Corporate Finance
- Presenter and/or discussant at AFA 2011; NFA 2011, 2007; FMA 2011, 2007; European Finance Association meeting 2008; Eastern Finance Association meeting 2010, 2009, 2012; AAA 2009; FMA Asian conference 2010; CICF 2012, 2007
- NFA 2012 and 2011 committee, EFA 2010 reviewer, MFA 2011 reviewer
- Treasurer for the Chinese Benevolent Association at Prince George, BC, 2007-2008
- President, Association of Hubei University Alumni in Canada, since April 2012
- VP for Chinese Professionals and Students Association of Northern British Columbia, 2007-2008
- American Finance Association
- Financial Management Association
- European Finance Association
- Eastern Finance Association
- Northern Finance Association
Finance and Managerial Economics
School of Management
University at Buffalo
344 Jacobs Management Center
Buffalo, NY 14260-4000