Reaching Others University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to commonly asked questions. You should also refer to our Prospective Students, Entering Students and Current Students pages for additional information.


What are the School of Management freshman and sophomore prerequisite courses?

Freshman Year
First Semester Second Semester
MTH 131 Mathematical Analysis for Business (calculus) Psychology 101
Economics 181 OR 182 (Macro or Micro) Economics 182 OR 181 (Macro or Micro)

Students who feel that their algebra and trigonometry skills are weak are advised to take ULC 148 at the University at Buffalo or an equivalent precalculus course at another institution before MTH 131.

Sophomore Year
Third Semester Fourth Semester
MGA 201 Introduction to Financial Accounting MGA 202 Introduction to Management Accounting
MGQ 201 Introduction to Statistics for Analytics

What kind of financial aid can I receive?

The Office of Financial Aid's webpage informs you about the finanicial process, type of aid, and how to contact your financial aid advisor.

What is the University at Buffalo open house? Where will it be held?

Each fall and spring semester the School of Management participates in the university-wide open house events. For more details, visit

Why should AACSB Accreditation matter to me?

What scholarships does the School of Management offer?

As a School of Management student, you may be eligible for one of several scholarships made possible through the generous support of alumni and friends. Visit our Scholarships page to learn about the opportunities available and important deadlines.

Can I transfer credits from other schools?

Transfer credit evaluations will be completed by the School of Management in conjunction with the University Office of Undergraduate Admissions. You should work with your academic advisor on evaluation of transfer credits for equivalency to UB courses. New incoming transfer students will be advised whether they need to complete the course waiver request process.

Procedure for submitting a waiver petition for an MG* course

You should bring the syllabus for the course you have previously taken in which you would like to have reviewed for a waiver to your academic advisor. The syllabus will be reviewed by the appropriate department and one of the following actions will be taken:

  • Approved.
  • Denied. (If equivalency is not granted, free-elective credit will be allowed.)
  • Examination required. (In some cases an oral or written examination may be required. The student is responsible for making arrangements with the appropriate department for the examination.)
  • Other requirements as established by the department in individual cases.

Student Support Services

Where do I go for tutoring in the prerequisite courses for the major?

Free tutoring for all the preprequisite courses in the major is available in the Undergraduate Learning and Community Center (ULCC) for all our admitted majors. The ULCC is located in B20 Jacobs. Read more at

Where do I go for tutoring in Math?

The Math Place is a free tutoring service specifically designed for students enrolled in Learning Center mathematics courses (ULC 147 & 148), and MTH 121, 122, 131, 141, 142. Students should feel free to drop in any time the Math Place is open for help with their math work. Learn more about The Math Place  

Where do I go for tutoring in English?

Vist the Center for Excellence in Writing in 209 Baldy Hall. The center supports writing across the disciplines.

When and where are the meetings for freshman registration and advising?

Freshman registration meetings and Freshman Advising Week information will be sent by email from the School Of Management. You can check your enrollment appointment (registration window) in your HUB Student Center (Access the HUB from your MyUB).

Where do I go for academic advisement?

Admitted majors seeking advice, assistance and information concerning the program should visit or call the School of Management Undergraduate Programs Office in 204 Alfiero Center for an appointment. Student service hours are 8:30 a.m. to noon, and 1 to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The office telephone number is 716-645-3206; the fax number is 716-645-2341. If you are a newly enrolled student to UB, you must establish your curriculum requirements with the School of Management Undergraduate Programs Office before your start the program. At that time, course schedules and potential advanced standing will be determined.  If you are a current UB undergrads interested in, but not yet admitted to, the accounting or business administration majors, you need to complete a major change request before meeting with one of our academic advisors.

If I don't know where to go and need help, who should I contact?

Contact the Undergraduate Academic Programs staff, in 204 Alfiero or 716-645-3206, when you are not sure where to go for help. If you are struggling with a course, the first person you might start with for help is your professor or teaching assistant. Attend your professor's office hours to ask for clarification or guidance with questions you have about the course or your peformance in the course. To have the greatest number of options, it is better to seek help early rather than wait.

Who is my academic advisor?

You are assigned to an academic advisor in the School of Management based on the first letter of your last name. To schedule an appointment with your academic advisor, call 716-645-3206 or stop in 204 Alfiero. Appointments will not be scheduled by email. It is your responsibility to seek advisement. If you are in the Finish in 4 program, you are required to meet with an advisor each semester.

Undergraduate Academic Programs Advisors

Megan Bragdon
Academic Advisor

Caseload: D, P, W, Z 

Jessica Farley
Senior Academic Advisor

Caseload: B, E, G, J, Y 

Craig Mathis
Academic Advisor

Caseload: I, K, M, N, Q, X 

Mary Ann McQuade
Senior Academic Advisor

Caseload: F, L, R, U 

Samantha Pitler
Academic Advisor

Caseload: A, C, O, T 

Kirk Voskerichian
Senior Academic Advisor

Caseload: H, S, V 


What is the AACSB standard "50 percent rule"?

Accreditation standards from AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business mandate that an undergraduate curriculum have a liberal arts education component that encompasses at least 50 percent of a student's four-year program. Up to nine semester hours of economics and six semester hours of statistics may be counted toward the AACSB requirement. Therefore, all students must complete at least 45 credit hours outside of business, economics and statistics. See a list of AACSB Arts and Sciences courses by interest areas [PDF].  The AACSB Requirement section of your Academic Advisiment Report (AAR), found your HUB Student Center, also can help monitor your progress and identify courses that may be use to satisfy this requirement.

What are the majors and concentrations offered by the School of Management?

The School of Management's offers two undergraduate majors, either in accounting or business administration. As a business administration major, you can become even more specialized by selecting a concentration below.

Financial Analysis
Human Resources Management
International Business
Management Information Systems
Operations and Supply Chain Management

When do I apply for graduation?

The Office of Registrar provides the deadlines and what happens when you apply for graduation.

When are my final exams?

Your final exam schedule is available in your HUB Student Center (via MyUB). Read more about the final exam schedule on the Office of Registrar's website.

How do you earn Latin honors?

Student Life

What student organizations/clubs are offered by the School of Management?

The School of Management offers more than 20 student organizations and clubs related to a functional area of management or interest group. Learn more about the school's student organizations by visiting the student clubs directory.

What are the upcoming School of Management events?

Please check your university email, the student organization offices in 206 Alfiero Center, the screens in the Alfiero Center and the bulletin boards in the Jacobs Management Center. Students can also view the School of Management online event calendar.

Career Exploration and Prospects

What resources are available to explore my career interests and prospects?

As an admitted School of Management major, you have access to the resources in the School of Management Career Resource Center (CRC) and UB Career Services, the university-wide career services office. The CRC serves as your primary resource for career exploration and job search.

Can I receive credit for an internship?

Office of Internships and Experiential Learning in the School of Management will help you determine if you can receive credit for an internship.

Where can I find help with my résumé, cover letters, interviewing skills, etc.?

Access the CRC resources and tools to help you plan and manage your career, including résumé, cover letter, interviewing, networking and job search tools.

Which companies recruit students from the School of Management?

Hundreds of employers recruit UB School of Management students through campus visits, résumé referrals, job postings on BizLink and off-campus program. Review some of the recent recruiters.

What are the starting salaries for each concentration?

Review the Career Resource Center's undergraduate salary and employment statistics.