Master of Science Frequently Asked Questions

Most of the questions we receive from applicants and accepted students can be found below. If your concerns are not addressed here, contact us at or 716-645-3204.

Admissions Process and Requirements

What is the admissions process and when are the application deadlines?

For admissions and deadlines information, visit the application page for your program: Accounting, Finance, Management Information Systems or Operations and Supply Chain Management.

Do I need to take the GMAT or GRE to apply to UB's MS programs?

Yes. The GMAT exam is a requirement for application to the MS Accounting program. We will accept the GMAT or GRE for the MS Finance, MS Management Information Systems and MS Operations and Supply Chain Management . Please be sure to check individual program admissions webpages to determine if you qualify for a waiver.

What is the average GMAT score?

Average GMAT scores vary by program. While the admissions committee evaluates each candidate’s overall application when making decisions, the committees do look for a minimum of 30% on each section of the GMAT.

What is a competitive GRE score?

The faculty admissions committees look for a score of at least 150 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE. Admission is competitive, and the entire exam is evaluated for admission.

What is the average TOEFL or IELTS score?

Our TOEFL iBT target is 95. The university minimum for the IELTS exam is an overall score of 6.5. The Pearson Test of English will be considered with an overall score of 55.


What is the tuition and cost breakdown?

Each of the School of Management MS programs has a Tuition and Fees page. Additional information can be found on UB's Graduate Cost of Attendance page.

When do I have to pay the tuition and fees?

The first payment due is the $500 tuition deposit to confirm your seat. Your tuition bill will be due according to a university schedule. Note: you cannot pay your tuition bill with cash.

What types of financial aid are available?

New York State residents may be eligible for New York State financial aid. All domestic students may be eligible for some form of educational loans. No direct School of Management aid is available for the MS programs. Students can apply for student loans by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students may also apply for on-campus work opportunities when they arrive at UB.

Where can I find housing information?

For housing information, visit UB's Campus Living page or search for off-campus housing options.

Program Structure

Can I waive management subjects or transfer credits from previous coursework?

UB generally does not accept transfer credit for MS coursework, and no courses are waived regardless of previous experience or education.

Are there required prerequisites for the MS programs?

Each MS program has specific requirements, so you should review each program in detail.

What are the degree requirements?

A detailed description of each program's curriculum is found in their respective handbooks:

MS in Accounting

MS in Finance

MS in Management Information Science

Can I do an internship?

This depends on your residency/visa status. Due to U.S. immigration regulations, internships are available to international students who are in a program that requires them as part of the curriculum. International students may elect to complete optional practical training following completion of their degree. U.S. students can complete an internship, even if it is not required, depending on availability of sponsoring organizations.

Are any of the MS programs considered STEM programs?

Both our MS Finance and our MS Management Information Systems program are STEM-eligible, which provides international student F-1 visa holders additional time for Optional Practical Training (OPT). The MS Accounting program does not qualify as STEM and therefore does not qualify for the STEM OPT extension.

For information on the foreign student policies for studying in the U.S., visit the Department of Homeland Security Study in the States website. For additional information, visit University at Buffalo International Student and Scholar Services website.

How can I make an advisement appointment?

Call the Graduate Programs Office at 716-645-3204. If you are a prospective applicant, we encourage you to attend an on-campus information session or schedule a personalized visit. If you are an admitted student, our office will provide information over the summer prior to enrollment regarding academic advisement appointments.


What is the average class size?

An average MS class will include about 30-40 students. Some electives may be as small as 15 students or as large as 50.

What is a typical course load?

MS students must take five courses or 15-16 credits per semester to graduate on schedule. The MS Accounting and Management Information Systems programs are two semesters long; the MS Finance program is three semesters long. Some students with limited business backgrounds may be required to take an additional course each semester.

How many hours per week will I need to study?

Study time outside the classroom varies greatly from student to student and fluctuates throughout the semester based on assignments and exams. You should expect to invest a minimum of 20 hours per week studying.

When do classes start?

Refer to the UB academic calendar for up-to-date start dates. International students will have orientation the week prior to the start of classes.

What is MS Advantage?

MS Advantage is a required program for both domestic and international students. International students must also attend UB's international student orientation.

Will I need to buy books?

Yes. You will need to buy textbooks assigned by faculty members and will probably want to buy additional books to help you read more on the subject. Texts are available at the University Bookstore, which maintains book lists, and other sources online. 

What books are required for each class?

A list of the texts used in each class is available at the campus bookstore. You may purchase the book at the bookstore or acquire it from other sources online. Professors will provide a syllabus with required textbooks on the first day of class.

What is the teaching style for UB professors?

UB faculty employ theoretical, case study, applied and practical teaching methods throughout the curriculum. The individual professor chooses the teaching method used in his or her class, and most courses will combine these methods. Students are expected to participate and contribute to class and team discussions.

How accessible is the faculty to students?

Faculty members are here to support you. It's up to you to contact them to make an appointment to discuss a particular issue. In addition, most faculty members use email regularly and will happily answer quick questions that way.

Student Life

What student activities are available?

Our student organizations offer many extracurricular activities throughout the year. You will be made aware of these by email or bulletin board postings. Contact the sponsoring student organization for details.

Do I need a computer?

UB expects every incoming master's student to have access to a personal computer beyond those provided in the university’s public computing sites. Faculty may assign computer-intensive work and design computer-intensive courses that will engage every entering student, on or off campus. While the easiest and most direct access will be through a PC you own, ownership is not required. As an entering student, you are expected to possess or develop computer skills in the following areas: word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, internet research and email. If you do not already have these skills, there are many campus resources available to help develop them.

Why is having access to a computer important for academic success?

Computer and information technologies play an increasing role in teaching and learning at UB. Many UB instructors post course material on web pages, assign projects involving internet and database research, communicate with class members by email, and expect professionally prepared projects and research papers. If you don’t have access to a computer, you may not be able to fulfill course requirements. All School of Management classrooms provide wireless computer access.

Work Experience/Career Resources

What constitutes work experience?

Work experience is defined as full-time employment after completing a bachelor's degree. While co-op, internship and part-time work experience is valuable to your application and in the classroom, AACSB reporting standards require us to report post-bachelor's work experience.

Do you count military experience as work experience?

Yes, we believe military experience is valuable and encourage military personnel to apply to our program, as they have proven leadership and interpersonal skills. Military experience completed before finishing your degree will positively impact your application and is often viewed favorably by employers.

Will you help me find an internship?

Yes. Our Career Resource Center and Internships and Experiential Learning Office work together to develop internship opportunities for our graduate students. Both offices share the online BizLink recruiting system. They maintain and continue to grow the list of companies that recruit at UB. Their goal is to help you get an internship and full-time job, and ensure you graduate with the skills to successfully search for positions throughout your career.

How can I find out what companies recruit at UB?

Contact Us

Graduate Programs Office
School of Management
University at Buffalo
203 Alfiero Center
Buffalo, NY 14260-4010

Tel:  716-645-3204
Fax: 716-645-2341
Meet our Team