Career Resources >
Career Preparation >
Career Tools >
Here at the UB School of Management, your career development process starts before you even begin your first class. This career checklist is just the beginning. During your fall MBA Advantage program the Career Resource Center will introduce you to MBA blueprint.
|MBA blueprint is a comprehensive career development program specifically tailored for UB MBA students. Blueprint will allow you to plan, track and achieve career progress through four coexisting foundations of development: personal assessment, career market research, job readiness and conducting a job search. This also allows for sharing of tracking between you and your career advisor. Until fall, you can get started with the checklist below.
Follow the outline and deadlines to plan and prepare for your career. These activities will also ensure completion of CRC requirements during the MBA program. Access the necessary online tools and resources in each section to accomplish the objectives outlined.
Summer (before starting the MBA program)
There are some CRC requirements to complete prior to beginning the MBA program this fall.
- Complete the CareerLeader™ online assessment. Follow the instructions on how to access this assessment (PDF file). Review, print and save the Narrative Report. You will be required to bring the report to your CRC appointment in the fall semester. (CRC Requirement)
- Complete the CareerLeader™ Worksheet. (CRC Requirement)
- Build your MBA résumé using the tools below. (CRC Requirement)
- Submit your CareerLeader™ Worksheet and updated MBA résumé for critique by Monday July 15, 2013. Send an email with both Word documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. (CRC Requirement)
Resources to Start Thinking About Your MBA Blueprint
- Review the MBA curriculum to understand concentrations and electives available to you.
- Begin reviewing your career goals and also various self-assessments. Review the MBA concentration selection resource.
- If you are in the area, get a jump on your first-year appointment with a CRC associate director in 308 Alfiero. Call the CRC at 716-645-3232 to schedule an appointment for July 29 - August 9. Review, print out and bring your CareerLeader™ Narrative Report to this appointment. (CRC Requirement)
- Become familiar with the CRC website, the BizLink career system and the Job Fairs and Events sites
- Be prepared: Some companies (particularly public accounting firms) recruit students in early fall, so it is important to monitor BizLink (and BullsEye) as well as company websites for current and future job and internship opportunities. Some résumé deadlines are as early as late August or early September. The BizLink career system also lists Employer Information Sessions.
- Review cover letter/job search correspondence resources. Any letter or email sent to a potential employer must be error-free, appropriately formatted and tailored to the company's needs and the desired employment opportunity. Check the CRC workshop schedule for the Job Search Correspondence workshop. (Optional but recommended)
- Attend on-campus job fairs (such as Meet the Professionals in September, the Management Career Fair and Tech Fair in October) and networking events within the community. However, do not rely solely on on-campus interviewing for internship positions. Review the CRC's Job Fairs and Events page for more information.
- All MBA students, but especially those in Information Systems and E-Business, and Supply Chains and Operations Management programs, should also register with UB Career Services, the university-wide career office. The Career Services career management system is called BullsEye. Complete your profile and upload your résumé to this system to take advantage of their job postings, on-campus interviewing opportunities, mentors and events.
Career Resource Center
Frank L. Ciminelli Family
Career Resource Center
School of Management
University at Buffalo
308 Alfiero Center
Buffalo, NY 14260-4010
Summer Office Hours
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Meet our Staff