Career Resources >
Career Preparation >
Career Tools >
Here at the UB School of Management, your career development process starts before you even begin your first class. This career checklist is just the beginning. During your fall MBA Advantage program the Career Resource Center will introduce you to MBA blueprint, a comprehensive career development program specifically tailored for UB MBA students. In the meantime, follow the outline and deadline below to prepare for your career and ensure completion of CRC requirements during the MBA program.
CRC Mission and Staff
The Career Resource Center (CRC) serves as the primary resource for students and alumni of the School of Management in career exploration and job search. The CRC is a key link between the school and employers, offering many programs that bring these groups together, such as career events, the alumni MentorLink LinkedIn group, internships, campus recruiting and career development workshops and seminars. Our mission is to create a caring environment that enables and motivates students to be successful in reaching their individual career goals.
The CRC's dedicated staff is committed to assisting students throughout the career development and job search process. Get to know our team by visiting the CRC staff page.
Summer (before starting the MBA program)
Complete the following requirements prior to beginning the MBA program this fall. The deadline is July 14, 2014.
- Complete the CareerLeader™ online assessment. Follow the instructions on how to access this assessment (PDF file). Review, print and save the Narrative Report. You will be required to bring the report to your CRC Getting Started appointment in the fall semester. (CRC Requirement)
- Complete the CareerLeader™ Worksheet. Name your worksheet MBA_Last Name_First Name_CL. (CRC Requirement)
- Build your updated MBA résumé using the tools below. Submit your updated résumé as a Word document. Name your document MBA_Last Name_First Name_resume. (CRC Requirement)
- Submit your CareerLeader™ Worksheet and updated MBA résumé for critique by Monday July 14, 2014. Send one email with both Word documents to email@example.com. Include your degree in the subject line of the email, such as MBA Resume - Your Last Name. (CRC Requirement)
|MBA blueprint is a comprehensive career development program specifically tailored for UB MBA students. Blueprint will allow you to plan, track and achieve career progress through four coexisting foundations of development: personal assessment, career market research, job readiness and conducting a job search. This also allows for sharing of tracking between you and your career advisor. Until fall, you can get started with the resources below.
Resources to Start Thinking About Your MBA blueprint
- Understand your options in the MBA program by reviewing the MBA concentrations, courses required and course descriptions on the MBA curriculum page.
- If you are unsure of your MBA concentration review the MBA concentration selection resource.
- Become familiar with the CRC website, the BizLink career system and the Job Fairs and Events pages.
- Be prepared: Some companies (particularly public accounting firms who recruit for IT audit and forensics along with national and global companies in manufacturing, IT, energy and consumer products) recruit interns in early fall, so it is important to monitor BizLink (and BullsEye) as well as company websites for internship and job opportunities. Some résumé deadlines are as early as late August or early September. The BizLink career system also lists Employer Information Sessions.
- Understand the recruitment process at the CRC using the BizLink career system
- Review the career tools for international students
- Review cover letter and job search correspondence resources. Any letter or email sent to a potential employer must be error-free, appropriately formatted and tailored to the company's needs and the desired employment opportunity. Check the CRC workshops for the Job Search Correspondence workshop. (Optional but recommended)
- Attend on-campus job fairs, such as the Management Career Fair on October 9, 2014 and UB Technical Career Fair on September 30, 2014, and networking events within the community. However, do not rely solely on on-campus interviewing for full-time positions. Review the CRC's Job Fairs and Events page for more information.
- All MBA students, but especially those in Information Systems and E-Business, and Supply Chains and Operations Management programs, should also register with UB Career Services, the university-wide career office. The Career Services career management system is called BullsEye. Complete your profile and upload your résumé to this system to take advantage of their job postings, on-campus interviewing opportunities, mentors and events.
Career Resource Center
Frank L. Ciminelli Family
Career Resource Center
School of Management
University at Buffalo
308 Alfiero Center
Buffalo, NY 14260-4010
Meet our Staff