Frequently Asked Questions

School of Management students in Costa Rica.

Where can I go?

We offer experiences in Ghana, China and Hong Kong, India, Costa Rica, the Baltic States (Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania), Germany, Hungary and various cities throughout the United States—and we are always expanding our programs and adding new locations.

Who can participate?

Global programs are open to School of Management undergraduates, MBA, MS, PMBA and PhD students. However, some programs are only open to certain academic statuses (undergraduates, MBA students, etc.), so be sure to check specific program requirements.

How long are the programs?

Through the School of Management, you can experience short-term, faculty-led programs ranging from three to 21 days. If you are interested in studying abroad for a semester or academic year, visit the UB Office of Study Abroad Programs website to learn more.

What are the requirements to participate in a global program?

All students must have a minimum of a 2.5 GPA to participate in a global program. Additionally, all undergraduate students must have a sophomore status or above before being accepted into a global program.

Are there scholarships available?

Qualified undergraduate students are encouraged to apply for the Joseph T.J. Stewart Global Citizenship Program Study-Abroad Scholarship. Information on the scholarship can be found here.

Can I participate in more than one program?

You may participate in more than one program, but no more than 6 credits worth of global programs will count towards your degree.

How can I find out if I need vaccinations or medication before going abroad?

Before going abroad, check with your primary care physician or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for location-specific requirement. If you need medication, you must either bring a sufficient amount for the duration of your trip or a prescription identifying the medication by its generic name to have it filled while abroad.

Do I need special health insurance?

You must have health insurance before traveling. For an overseas trip, you’ll be enrolled in the University at Buffalo United Health Care Student Resources health insurance program, which will cover your time while abroad. For domestic travel, you’ll be covered under your current insurance.

Do I need a passport to travel?

Yes, a valid passport is required for international travel. If you are participating in a global program, ensure that your passport is valid for at least six months from your travel date. If you do not currently have a passport, find out how to apply for one on the U.S. Department of State website.

Will I need a visa for travel? How do I obtain a visa?

Depending on the passport you hold, a visa may be required for entry to certain countries. Check specific program requirements and the embassy website to determine if you will need a visa for entry. A visa can be obtained from foreign consulates in the U.S. or other countries.