Community Engagement >
Volunteers Make a Difference >
Community Engagement Report
Alpha Kappa Psi (professional business fraternity)
- Assisted in building an ice skating rink for the Olmsted Park Conservancy annual Night Winter Lights event.
- Cleaned and painted the Buffalo Hope Lodge for the American Cancer Society.
Beta Alpha Psi (accounting and finance honors fraternity)
- Ran the highly successful Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, preparing 803 tax returns for low income individuals and families, bringing more than one million in tax refunds back to the Buffalo community. Nearly $172,000 of the total was the result of earned income credit, helping families that needed it most.
- Worked with Habitat for Humanity to renovate and build houses.
- Collected food for the less fortunate during Thanksgiving time.
- Participated in the Relay for Life by raising money and walking for the American Cancer Society.
- Cleaned up the neighborhoods surrounding South Campus as part of the UB A Good Neighbor and the UB Getting Dirty initiatives.
- Assisted with setting up tables and the dog watch area for the American Heart Association Walk.
- Promoted and participated in blood drives.
- Collected non-perishable food items for local shelters as part of the Trick or Eat program.
- Raised money for local charities by dancing in the Stay Up UB event.
- Collected clothing from the surrounding neighborhoods to be distributed to those less fortunate.
Delta Sigma Pi (professional business fraternity)
- Worked with Habitat for Humanity to renovate houses.
- Assisted with the Howl-O-Ween Hayride at the Buffalo Zoo by helping with the hayride, face painting, selling food and handing out candy to the children.
- Helped with set up and check-in at Job Quest, a job fair open to all college students in the Buffalo area.
- Successfully raised more than $1,000 for cancer patients and participated in the Relay for Life.
- Promoted two campus blood drives for the American Red Cross.
- Participated in Out of Darkness walk to bring attention to suicide prevention and to walk in honor of Brother Thomas Leone.
- Served as employer hosts, helped set up and promoted Career Fest organized by the UB Career Resource Center.
- Planted trees along the road of Delaware Park for the Buffalo Olmsted Conservancy.
- Collected food items for and cleaned up Vive La Casa to help refugees in need.
Financial Management Association
- Donated more than $500 for the Relay for Life to support cancer research.
- Teamed up with Citi managers to clean up a veterans home as part of Citi Global Community day.
Graduate Management Association
- Collected toys and monetary donations for Toys for Tots, which gives toys to underprivileged children during the holiday season.
- Participated in Movember by having the males grow mustaches for the entire month of November. This team raised more than $1,000 for Livestrong and Prostate Cancer Foundations.
- Travelled to New Orleans during Spring Break to assist Historic Green with rebuilding homes, sustainable gardens and community centers that were devastated by Hurricane Katrina.
- Organized a charity auction, raising more than $2,000 for Rosewell Park Cancer Institute.
- Raised more than $850, participated in and held a bake sale at the Relay for Life walk.
School of Management Minority Alliance
- Supported Relay for Life by raising more than $200 through a face painting fundraiser.
- Promoted and donated blood for a blood drive.
- Assisted with rebuilding houses for Habitat for Humanity.
- Participated in rebuilding a game room at a local refugee center as part of Project PricewaterhouseCoopers Make-it-Count initiative.
- Helped clean up the community around campus as part of UB Clean Up.
Pi Sigma Epsilon
- Volunteered to help with table setup, directional assistance and breakdown at the UB CareerFEST.
- Participated in Relay for Life and raised $300 for cancer research.
- Sold newspapers to raise money for the Buffalo Children’s Hospital as part of Buffalo News Kids Day.
- Assisted with setup and handed out water to runners at the Nick Orrange run.
- Cleaned and sorted donated clothing for Compass House.
Society for Human Resource Management
- Volunteered to assist Habitat for Humanity with cleaning up the outside of a home in Buffalo.
- Organized a collection for the SPCA, raised $150 and donated a car full of pet supplies.
UB Accounting Association
- Raised more than $200 for the Linda Yalem Safety Run. Also assisted with registration, handing out water to the runners, closing parking lots, cleaning up and cheering on the runners.
- More than 65 club members donated blood and helped sponsor the drive for Upstate New York Transplant Services.
- Volunteered with Habitat for Humanity to renovate and rebuild houses for three separate families.
- Collected non-perishable food items and donated them to the South Buffalo Food Bank.
- Participated in Relay for Life and hosted a Kan Jam fundraiser. More than $500 was raised for cancer research.
- Teamed up with Beta Alpha Psi to prepare tax returns as part of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
- Prepared a meal for a family who has a child with a serious medical condition as part of the Ronald McDonald House.
- Hosted a toy drive during the holiday season in support of Toys for Tots raising more than $450 and collecting 50 toys for donation.
- Raised more than $1,100 for Livestrong and Prostate Cancer Foundations as part of the Movember initiative.
- Participated in Relay for Life and held a bake sale fundraiser during the event. Raised more than $850 for the American Cancer Society.